Is your pet at risk of being poisoned this autumn?

The changing season can bring a whole range of additional risks for our pets. Everyday items, which may seem harmless can leave our pet in need of emergency care. 

Our short blog hopes to highlight some of the most common hazards your pet may encounter during the autumn months. 

What are the most common autumn hazards to our pets?

  • Human cold and flu medication – toxic to pets.

  • Rat poison – anti-coagulant rodenticide can cause fatal haemorrhage.

  • Xylitol – E967 sweetener, causes a dangerous drop in blood sugar and potential liver failure. Found in sweets, gum and peanut butter. 

  • Chocolate – common problem, the higher the cocoa content the more risk.

  • Antifreeze – contains ethylene glycol which causes kidney failure. Taste is appealing to pets. 

  • Acorns and conkers – cause upset tummies and could obstruct the intestines. 

  • Mushrooms – some wild mushrooms can be toxic to pets, much like ourselves.

  • Mouldy pumpkins – mouldy food, in general, can cause seizures, intestinal and liver damage.


What should I do if I think my pet has eaten a toxin?

This autumn TVM, a leading animal health company is reminding pet owners of the importance of acting fast.

Remember, SPEED:

  • Stop the pet from eating any more suspected poison.

  • Phone the vets.

  • Emergency appointment.

  • Evidence – bring labels/samples/vomit.

  • Don’t delay. 

Why not share our blog with your pet-loving friends and help us to avoid our animals falling victim to accidental poisoning this autumn?