In short, no! Some supplements may contain the same ingredients but at lower levels and some may contain different ingredients altogether. It can be a bit of an information minefield. It really does pay to do your research and check the label!
We drew from our forty years of experience as veterinarians to research and carefully select safe, natural ingredients at the correct levels to support mobility for a healthy lifestyle in dogs and cats of all ages, sizes, and activity levels. We made sure our supplement was palatable and easy to dose as a chew or tablet.
This article covers both our dog range, if you would just like to read about Flexicat feline joint supplements click here.
Which Ingredients Are Included In Petstoreo’s FlexiK9 Joint Supplements?
Our handy infographic below shows the individual ingredient details for each product as contents differ between ranges.
Here is a brief breakdown of some of the ingredients we included and their benefits:
- Green-lipped mussels are packed with chondroitin sulphates, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins E and C, zinc, copper and manganese and can help reduce joint stiffness and swelling from arthritis. They contain eicosatetraenoic acid, a unique fatty acid with powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
- Vitamins C and E – Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) serves a role as a cofactor in collagen synthesis, the main protein in joint tissue and bone. Vitamin C has also been linked to the control of inflammation linked to infection, which may trigger arthritis flares. Vitamin E is an essential vitamin involved in many cellular systems and is thought to reduce oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Turmeric – a key component of turmeric is curcumin thought to reduce joint inflammation and pain related to arthritis, rarely found in other joint supplements.
- Manganese is an essential trace element especially important in the repair and maintenance of healthy connective tissue.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin are naturally produced in the body to form components of cartilage, the cushion for joints. They are also thought to maintain elasticity and joint lubrication. When given together chondroitin has a synergistic effect alongside glucosamine, aiding their action.
- Omega 3 (EPA & DHA) – These important Omega 3 fatty acids are involved in enzymatic systems and reactions aiding the reduction of the inflammatory cascade.
- Hyaluronic acid has been shown to improve joint movement and reduce stiffness.
- Boswellia serrata has shown preliminary evidence as an anti-inflammatory.
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) is a herbal anti-inflammatory which helps provide the building blocks for connective tissue repair.
Are Joint Supplements Only For Old Dogs?
Another myth we need to bust! The best time to protect your pet’s joint health is before any damage begins. This is especially important for large breeds with a known disposition to joint conditions and a higher risk of arthritis. This is a way of maintaining joint health, rather than trying to restore it. Much like brushing your teeth is more effective than having a filling!
So, young pets can benefit from a natural joint supplement too.
When Can I Expect To See An Improvement In My Dog?
This depends on your pet’s condition and current level of mobility.
For dogs over 7 years or experiencing excessive stiffness we would recommend a loading dose of double the daily amount for the first 4 to 6 weeks then reduce to the maintenance dose of once a day. By which time you would generally start to see an improvement.
Can Flexi Joint Supplements Be Taken With Prescribed Medication?
Yes, our entire range of Flexi supplements can safely be given with prescribed medication e.g. painkillers, NSAIDS etc. They are not designed to replace any medication prescribed by your vet but rather be used in conjunction with them.
My Dog Is A Fussy Eater. Is Flexi Palatable?
We will hand this one over to our Boston Terriers to answer on behalf of the dogs. As you can see we worked hard on taste testing. There is no point in creating a great supplement if pets hate the taste!
We understand dogs are individual and as such, we cannot predict all pets will agree with our taste tests, so we do offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If after allowing your pet time to transition onto the supplement you are still having problems please let us know.
How Else Can I Help Support My Dog’s Mobility?
We have just the blog for you! Our recently updated mobility blog is packed with useful information on spotting the signs of and helping pets with joint conditions.
As always, if you have any concerns regarding your pet’s health or medical conditions please contact your veterinarian for advice.
You can find further information on our Flexi range and shop online here. If you have any questions or queries we are happy to help!